Saturday, September 7, 2013

Doom Town - "Walking Through Walls" (New Dark Age)


Doom Town – “Walking Through Walls EP”
I was in Celebrated Summer when Dave Michaud grabbed me and said, “You have to hear this, it’s like Masshysteri, but from the Midwest!” I’m a sucker for any punk band from Sweden, and I like girl/guy vocals a lot, so buying this record was a no brainer. Dave was right, it totally does sound more American than any of the Swede stuff, but the Vicious/Masshysteri semi-raw punk vibe is there too. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say this band has heard Gorilla Angreb or yelled made-up lyrics to the aforementioned Umea super group. All four of the songs on here have hooks that I get stuck in my head for days after listening. The first time I put this on, I remember flipping the record back and forth enough times that I swore off buying 7”s. The guitars on this record are clean and dry, the vocals are spoke-sung enough that you want to sing along, and the record sounds like this band should have put out twice as many records.



I’ve heard from two different people that there is a Doom Town LP in the works, which would be a great break from the European-import-splits that have been (finally) coming out over the last few months. Splits are for bands you only care about hearing one song from, and I want to hear an entire record.

1 comment:

  1. http://trendisdeadrecords.blogspot.com/2013/10/autonomy-doom-town.html

    ReplyDelete