Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Shitty Limits – “Here Are The Limits” ep – Sorry State


I didn’t hear this ep until after I’d worn a hole through my copy of The Shitty Limits first and only LP, “Beware The Limits”. I was already singing along to modern punk classics like “Television” and “Your Limits Are My Limits” and I knew that I needed to track down the four 7”s that preceded the LP.
“Here Are The Limits” emits the same upbeat punk vibes that their LP does, and all the songs could have stood alone as singles. I’m actually shocked that the title track of this ep didn’t chart in the UK, but with a name like The Shitty Limits, I guess making it probably wasn’t ever an option. The first two songs on this ep bleed together and create a feeling that the whole first side was recorded live. “I’m A Square” is the poppiest of the three tracks on this, while “All The Rage” finishes out the A side with a song that’s probably the most similar to US hardcore that this band would ever be.
The flip side is another three tracks of catchy UK punk. The songs on this side seem longer and more thought out than the previous, but that might be because the first song is such a stomper. Instead of relying on the single slow riff, this songs switches back into another racing punk song that owes at least a little bit to the LA band with circle tattoos. “In Your Shoes” is another song that given the right circumstances, could have been a huge hit. Honestly, if the vocals on this record hadn’t been recorded through a megaphone then this could have been used during a beachside Coca-a-Cola add. “Leave Me Alone” closes out this ep with a real blitzkrieg speed pair of riffs that will have even the most hardened punk bobbing their head or pogoing in their living rooms.
I’m sad that this band is no more. I was lucky enough to see them a few times and they did not disappoint. If you dig this 7”, I encourage you to check out every other record, especially their long player, along with the new Golden Triangle LP on Sorry State.



No comments:

Post a Comment