Tuesday, December 17, 2013

GG King – “Drug Zoo – Rob’s House Records


Mr. King was a member of the almighty Carbonas, and if you only heard his first 7”, “Adult Rock”, you might have assumed he wouldn’t ever stray from the path paved by the last Carbonas LP. “Drug Zoo” is a lot less Carbonas than “Adult Rock”, which is weird because I think the songs on this ep were from the demo that Greg put out before any of the 7”s were released. In fact, if I remember correctly, the 7”s on Rob’s House and Local Cross were just demo songs put onto wax (something that seems to be standard in punk now). Anyway…
This record is great. The title track is a catchy little sing-along that will get every punks’ head bouncing up and down. It actually is a little bit more Australian sounding than I first picked up on. The bass thumps along with the drums and they together really carry the song. According to the back cover, Chris from Carbonas and Bukake Boys played bass on this record, which is good news and totally explains the sick song.
The second side is more upbeat and while I like the song “Witching Hour”, I don’t think it’s nearly as cool as “Drug Zoo”. Other than the moaning background singing, I don’t think there is anything that really catches me about this song. The 7” ends with a great cover of the Box Tops’ classic, “The Letter”. Greg King’s vocals carry this otherwise pretty standard cover. Two of the best people I know in the world are now in GG King, so if you're in Atlanta (or if they ever tour), go see them.


here's a youtuber:

No comments:

Post a Comment