Thursday, December 12, 2013

Eddy Current Suppression Ring - "Wet Cement" - Mexican Summer Records

Hey!  I've had what might be the flu for a few days and before that was dealing with being an elementary school teacher in the weeks building up to Christmas, so the Dollar Bin Rippers blog has taken a back seat to actual responsibilities and illness.  Deal with it. I'm also always looking for people that want to contribute to the blog, so if you are also an avid fan of the Dollar Bin, send me an email.  I'm returning with a real banger:

What can be said about these Australian geniuses that hasn't already been said a thousand times? They were THE band for a few years, and then after a lackluster (and expensive) 12" and a return to their homeland seem to have simmered. I like just about everything that ECSR gifted to the world, and at the time when this came out, I was a huge fan of the Mexican Summer label. This single (along with the Jacuzzi Boys record) marks the end of my interest in Mexican Summer. The Kurt Vile, Golden Triangle, and Headdress records were all great, but after a bunch of lackluster (and expensive) releases, I didn't care anymore. However, this Eddy Current record is great!
The record starts out with "Wet Cement", a typical lazy-paced Eddy Current riff that pulls you along for half the song before the chorus finally kicks in. The return to the initial riff is with great relief and honestly, I would buy more than one record that was just this riff nailing into my brain. Great single, but not surprised it wasn't a total hit. It doesn't offer much for the non-ECSR fans (or post-punk fans in general).
The second side is much more "Primary Colours"-era Eddy Current. It still includes a riff that is played ad-nauseam, but the songs are much more driving and at one point even Fall or Gang Of Four sounding. The last song is my favorite, and is the reason I'm including this record for Dollar Bin Rippers. It's a sing-along ECSR classic. Buy this record if you have any interest in the Australian outsider headliners.

No comments:

Post a Comment